Despite the widespread tolerance of marijuana across the nation, possessing this substance is still a crime in New York. This means that you could face a range of penalties if you are convicted of possession and other drug offenses. Just as you would when facing more serious allegations, it is vital to acquire legal assistance in the face of marijuana possession charges.
New York has some of the most complicated laws in the nation regarding the possession of marijuana. Failure to understand these laws can result in missteps that can land you behind bars.
- If you are caught possessing up to an ounce of marijuana, you will receive no jail time, but you may have to pay a fine of up to $50.
- If you are caught and convicted of one to two ounces of marijuana, you may have to pay a fine of up to $200.
- A conviction for possessing two to eight ounces of pot could put you behind bars for up to one year and/or cost you $1,000.
- Possessing eight to 16 ounces of marijuana could mean up to four years in prison and/or a costly fine of no more than $5,000.
- Those convicted of possessing more than a pound of marijuana are looking at increased jail time and up to the maximum amount in fines.
As you can see, drug offenses involving marijuana possession should never be taken lightly. Defending yourself against a conviction with the assistance of your New York criminal defense attorney is the best way to preserve your freedom and reputation. Leaving the matter to chance or hoping for the best is the worst thing you can do when facing any drug offense.